So…many of you know that we are finally able to make the transition to 6 months in Alaska and 6 months outside. It’s been in the works for awhile now and we are so excited to make the switch. We always knew that Alaska in winter was not a part of the long term plan, but in this lifestyle, at least the way we do it, we have to follow the money sometimes. I’m still a bit nervous as we STILL don’t have a renter for the big house, but I’m just putting all my faith into this dream. Maybe a little “cart before the horse” happening, but sometimes you just have to take the leap and hope it all shakes out the way you need/want it to.
5 Reasons we chose a Travel Trailer
We dream of the days when we can travel in a Class C like in the movie RV, but our version of long term living is just more comfortable in a trailer.
- The Kiddos – Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels offer a tremendous amount of space. The bunkhouses are spacious and have lots of room for all the extras. Plus we have learned that having 3 dedicated living areas works best for our family. The ability to close a “realish door” is hugely beneficial in a house that has cardboard walls 🙂
- Working Afar – Because Amazon is now a part of our long term plan we need a dedicated vehicle to make the commute. Sure you could tow behind the rig but again it’s the whole picture that makes it all happen.
- Cost – Huge bang for your buck! As usual most things come down to cost. When we first started looking we were researching used travel trailers. Around a 2013 for 15K. We were trying to keep the total cost for the truck and trailer around 25K. Our specific situation required us to purchase sight unseen, unless we wanted to travel to scope things out, but that process could get costly very quickly. We purchased our current 5th wheel new, and yes, I said I would never buy new again. However, I also say “never say never”. Between the great deal, floor plan, and warranty I couldn’t pass up purchasing new. We kept the trailer at 22K, yes a little higher than we would have liked, but the floor plan really sold us, plus we didn’t have to worry about making an extra trip to the states to play “find that smell”.
- Floor Plan – I’m a great researcher. There’s no question about it. I take it very seriously and spend the equivalent of a full time job hunting for a good value. Obviously the floor plans of today are just way cooler than they were several years ago. Specifically, we found a unit that uses the space exceptionally well AND it has an extra 1/2 bath. And when you have a teenager this is a great place for all her “beauty things”. Plus having another dedicated closed off space is just awesome! I honestly could care less about the extra toilet, it’s really another the door that closes that excites me! Plus this unit has one of the best placed entertainment centers I’ve ever seen in a basic “budget” trailer. Real doors, a huge pantry, a linen closet, a dinette, and a couch. And my most favorite thing of all….wait for it…wait for it… A corner shower with REAL doors. Can you tell I’m excited?!
- Separate Units – Having traveled in our 5th wheel and experiencing all the “kinks” in that first year I have learned that having two separate units works best for our family. We have situations where we have to rent a car and stay in the rig while the trucks getting work done and the opposite situation where the rigs in the shop and we get to glam it up in a hotel. For us either situation is more comfortable with a truck and trailer setup.
Now for the Big Reveal – Meet our new 2019 Crossroads Zinger 333DB
*This isn’t actually our unit…He’s still at the factory being built!
2019 Crossroads Zinger 333DB Living Area Slide
2019 Crossroads Zinger 333DB Kids Slide
Main Living Area
Dinette and Couch
Kitchen/Entertainment Center/Electric Fireplace
Look at that Pantry!
Master Bath w/Corner Shower!!!!!!
Olivia’s Side of their Bedroom
Kid’s 1/2 Bath “Mostly Olivia’s :)”