So yesterday was the big day…

The part arrived on Saturday, a little later than expected but that seems to be the case anymore. So hubby went over to the mechanic first thing Monday morning and took every precaution when installing the new component. We were so nervous. This had to work. It’s not so much that we aren’t enjoying our time. It’s more just the process we go through every time we sit and wait for the part to arrive. It’s never quite enough time to make real plans, but somehow these little spurts of time have added up to a month! I can’t even believe it. I’ve thought a lot about why this is happening, what we are supposed to learn from it, how to stay positive, and how I can fully accept that life isn’t so bad. I’ll be the first to admit I am not a very patient person. Also, I’m a lot spoiled. I try really hard to consistently remind myself of all the things I am grateful for. But I don’t know, I guess I just lack a sense of peace and contentment when I really want something to happen. I say all the right things out loud. Even my writing on here reflects all the things I want to feel inside. But something I have learned through this whole experience is that just saying these things out loud doesn’t mean you actually believe in the bullshit you’re spewing. Maybe not even so much that I don’t believe it, but I just don’t truly live it. So I’ll try, try, and try again to keep living who and what I want to be. I suppose you get you’re 100 years not only to experience all the things but to keep working on the person you admire when you look in the mirror.

Wow, that was deep!

So back to Monday. I’m sure you can gather that things didn’t exactly go as planned. We had prepped and prepared the RV to roll, as hubby was supposed to show up and we were going to roll off to the Florida coast. And the day actually started out that way. Hubby called and confirmed that the install was a success! Progress!! The truck started right up and sounded great. But while we were on the phone a couple of new dash lights illuminated. No big deal, I got on the phone with the parts company, and they said it was just the computer updating and to let the vehicle idle for 30 minutes. Sweet! So I tell hubby, he’s happy, and he sits and waits. At this point, I am really excited. I crank up the music, start moving the appliances and such and then hubby’s face flashes on my phone again. I think at this point I already knew what he was going to say.

Sure enough, when hubby tried to pull out of the shop, the truck just shut down. He explained that the lights had gone away just as the repair company said, but now we had a whole new set of problems. At that point, the mechanic hooked up the scanner and started to read the codes. Luckily the original code was gone, but we were left with one very unique code which clearly didn’t allow the vehicle to even move. HA! Awesome! So back to the electronics company, the part goes, and the truck will now sit in Pigeon Forge for another week-ish while we try and figure out what’s wrong.

OK, no big deal, we had talked about all this. Planned for it, the whole thing!

So hubby made the walk back, and we’re all still in good spirits, knowing that our plan was still to leave. No matter what. So we talked about our options now that we were actually faced with the choice of what we were going to do and I set about on the phone and computer making plans.

This is where the day kind of got away from me. It seemed like everything I had researched and tried to plan for was just falling apart. And then finally we did have a viable plan, I started booking cars, and flights, etc. And then one big piece of the puzzle just crumbled. By this time we were done. The only thing left to do was wait it out, and get a fresh start the next day. I am so not good at just letting it go, but Hubby was so great at diffusing my emotional state.

Fast forward to this morning, the phone rings, and everything changed. Just like that, we were back on! Isn’t that crazy?!?!

So it was go time. We had to pick up a rental car, run some much-needed errands, and then head out to pick up our truck rental. That’s right. We rented a truck to tow our rig to Florida. We’ll make the drive over a couple of days. Then Hubby will drive said truck all the way back here, they only rent for roundtrips, and then he’ll hop on a plane back to Florida. Easy right? And then, of course, there’s the whole moving of the rig between RV parks without a truck, HA! We’ve got plans for that too. We’ll see how it goes!

Overall the logistics on this one were challenging, probably some of the most intense planning we’ve done. Accomplishing these things on a budget is tough. Sure with all the money in the world, it’s easy. But I spend hours trying to find promo codes and scouring every website I can think of for a great deal and any insight to accomplishing our goal. We definitely ran the gamut of possibilities, scratching down all the scenarios and calculating costs. I suppose we could have just sat here for another week or so and kept waiting it out, but that’s just not who we are, and considering a “2-3 day turn around” back on January 3rd has led us here, I think it’s safe to say that a best case scenario in terms of timing may no longer be on our side. I know it sounds crazy, but at this point I just want this truck fixed…PERIOD, who cares about when!

Fingers crossed all goes great! As usual, I’ll keep you posted!

10 thoughts on “So yesterday was the big day…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s